Listen, Learn, and Love - 3 Keys to Harmony

Dr. Joan's Advice

Date: 10/07/2012

By: Dr. Joan

Subject: High School Friendships

Dear Timid Teen:

Thanks for sending in your problem. Your brain power shows through in your writing. I hope my pointers will help you. Here they are:

1. You are not alone. A lot of high school students feel shy around their peers. While you are in the library, where you say you go to “look busy” and where you don’t have to talk to anyone, look around and observe others in the room. Is there someone who might need a friend? Could you be the person to reach out to a lonely kid? A smile does wonders to start a conversation.

2. Just because others have been asked to join the “service club” and you have not been invited, it does not mean they are better than you are. Take an objective view. Find out the qualifications for membership in the club. Since it is a school organization, the principal’s office will have a list of requirements for membership. Go to the office with a smile and ask to see the list. If you are interested in qualifying, set about fulfilling the requirements. If you are not interested in wearing the official club hat around the halls, then cast your concern about the club aside and set your own goals for the rest of this year. Take aim on making friends both inside and outside of the service club.

I have given you two specific assignments. Please write again and tell me about your progress in acting on them. You have what it takes to develop harmonious relationships with friends.

Dr. Joan’s Harmony Key: Friendship grows in the light of a smile.

Search site

Contact

Harmony Keys